The Edgartown Yacht Club perpetuates the maritime traditions of Martha’s Vineyard and Edgartown and encourages friendly competition on the waters around the Island and ashore – the mission of the Club since it was founded in 1905.
Those first few years of the twentieth century were a time of great change in the town of Edgartown. The whaling era, which had come to a sudden end after the Civil War, still animated the memories of the oldest inhabitants, and family vacationing through the summer season, as we know it now, lay some years off.
The first commodore was Edward H. Raymond, and the first clubhouse and pier lay on rented property where the Harborside Inn stands today.
The social life of the Club – so creative and active today – began in these earliest years with clambakes and old-fashioned ice cream socials.